Also known as De La Salle Brothers, this Congregation was founded in France in 1680 by John Baptist de La Salle. The founder saw the need to provide education to the poor because the schools were, at that time, only for the rich. In 1852, the first group of La Salle Brothers arrived in Penang Malaya, where they established their first school, St Xavier’s Institution.
For more than 160 years, schools run by Christian Brothers of the De La Salle movement have been responsible for the education and future direction in life of countless thousands of people throughout Malaysia and Singapore. The success stories are manifold – among them businessmen, entrepreneurs, scholars, writers, politicians, academics and teachers – all former students who have risen to great prominence as leaders in their own chosen field. Lasallian schools became a global institution, thanks to the energy and dedication – at times, sheer courage – of those who followed in the footsteps of the schools’ saintly founder, John Baptist De La Salle – the 17th century son of a wealthy family.
Lasallians are people of faith who are passionately committed to holistic and quality education for all. Today in the 21st century, La Salle’s work continues because it offers the young people a meaning to life and their final destiny so that together our lives as Lasallians will be a sign of Indivisa Manent! “Forever Inseparable” our Faith in God and Love for Humanity.
We have in Peninsular Malaysia 32 La Salle Schools and 12 Associated Schools in Sabah and Sarawak.
St Xavier’s Institution (Secondary), Penang
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Xavier, Penang Lebuh Farquhar, 10200 Penang
St Xavier’s Institution is a well-known boys’ school in Georgetown, Penang. It is the first of all the La Salle schools in Malaysia and also in Asia.
While the year 1852 is inscribed on the school building, the history of the school begins much earlier than that.
It was named after St Francis Xavier, the pioneering Christian missionary and co-founder of the Society of Jesus (Jesuit Order). While being a boys’ school, girls are also admitted, albeit only in Form 6. The abbreviated name for the school is ‘SXI’ with the pupils known as ‘Xaverians’. The school motto ‘LABOR OMNI VINCIT” means “Labour Conquers All”.
The ex-students have 2 Alumni Associations.
Old Xaverians Association, Penang (OXA) was formed in 1924 and Xaverian Club Kuala Lumpur (XCKL) was registered in 1986 by ex- students residing in the Klang Valley.
Among their objectives are to promote the Xaverian ideal of brotherhood, to forge close links with the Alma Mater and maintain an interest in its well-being and advancement, to promote fellowship among alumni and cultivating closer links with other Lasallian Association under the banner of the Malaysian Federation of Lasallian Alumni Associations.
St John Baptist de La Salle Founder of the De La Salle Brothers Patron of Teacher
St Francis’ Institution (Secondary), Melaka
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Francis, Melaka Jalan Parameswara, 75000 Melaka
St Francis’ Institution is also a well-known boys’ school in Malacca of the Lasallian tradition. It is the second oldest of the Lasallian schools in Malaysia. It is called ‘SFI’ by the local population. Students and Alumni, or Old Boys, are known as ‘Franciscans’.
The St Francis’ Institution had its early beginning in 1872 when it was known as St Mary’s School. It was solely meant for the Catholic education of children in the Parish.
In 1880 the school shifted to a building in front of St Francis’ Church and was renamed St Francis’ Institution. The school was temporarily closed down in 1902.
In 1903, the school was re-opened by the La Salle Brothers. The school motto “AGE QUOD AGIS” means “Whatever You Do, Do It Well”.
The ex-students also have 2 Alumni Associations.
St Francis’ Association, Malacca (SFA) was formed in 1917. The Association is almost a century old. Franciscan Club Kuala Lumpur (FCKL) was formed in 2002 to cater for all Franciscans dwelling and working in the Klang Valley.
Their objectives are to maintain the Franciscan ideal and to maintain close link with the Alma Mater whilst at the same time promote fellowship and mutual cooperation through the various activities organised.
St John’s Institution (Secondary), Kuala Lumpur
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St John, Kuala Lumpur Jalan Bukit Nanas, 50250 Kuala Lumpur
St John’s Institution is a secondary school for boys (and girls for form 6) and one of the oldest schools in Kuala Lumpur. The school is widely known as ‘SJI’ and the students of St John’s Institution bear the name ‘Johannians’.
At the request of the Education Department and the then Bishop of Malacca, the La Salle Brothers opened St John’s Institution in 1904. The school is named after St. John the Evangelist and Apostle of Jesus Christ. The school motto “FIDE ET LABORE” means “Faith and Labour”.
St John Alumni Association Kuala Lumpur (SJAA) has a long and distinguished history. It was formed in 1926 and registered as “St John’s Old Boys Association. The name was changed in 1988.
Among the objectives of the Association are: to foster a feeling of brotherhood, mutual goodwill, understanding and friendship among the Alumni members and other Lasallian Associations; to bring the Alumni of St John’s into closer contact with their Alma Mater; to promote social, cultural, educational and sports activities; and to provide assistance to present Johannians or such other students as may be approved by the General Committee.
St Paul’s Institution (Secondary), Seremban
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Paul, Seremban 236, Jalan Lobak, 70200 Seremban, Negeri Sembilan
St Paul Institution is a secondary school for boys (and girls for form 6) and one of the oldest schools in Seremban. The school is widely known as ‘SPI’ and the students of St Paul’s Institution are called ‘Paulians’. The school is named after Saint Paul.
SPI Secondary was founded in 1899 by Rev Fr Catesson of the Paris Foreign Missions Society (MEP) in Seremban. Its aim was to provide an English education to “The boys of Seremban and its outstations”.
St Paul’s School, as it was then called, was the first English school in Negeri Sembilan. It was later taken over by the La Salle Brothers in 1909. The school motto “VIRTUTE ET LABORE” means “Virtue and Labour”.
Old Paulians’ Association, Seremban (OPA) was formed in 1926 and was then called “St Paul’s Old Boys Association. OPA has grown from strength to strength and the relationship between the Alma Mater amd the Association has always been strongly bonded by the Paulian spirit. Today OPA is a vibrant and dynamic organisation. It can proudly be said that OPA is one of the most progressive Old Boys’ associations in the country.
St George’s Institution (Secondary), Taiping
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St George, Taiping Jalan Station, 34000 Taiping, Perak
Saint George’s Institution is a secondary school for boys (and girls for Sixth Form) and is one of the oldest schools in Taiping, Perak. The school is widely known as by its initial “SGI” and the students of St. George’s Institution are called ‘Georgians’ for boys and ‘Georgianas’ for girls.
It was founded by a group of La Salle Brothers from Penang as a Catholic boys’ school. The school is surrounded by four roads, Station Road (front), Barrack Road (behind), Cross Street No. 9 and Cross Street No. 10.
The aim of the school is to provide education to boys of all religions, races and social classes, which is still the main philosophy of the school. The school motto “HONOR VIRTUTIS PRAEMIUM” which means “Honour is the Reward of Virtue”.
Old Georgians’ Association, Taiping (OGA) was formed in 1963. It has always maintained a close rapport with the Alma Mater which over the years has produced industrious sons who had or are holding distinguished positions in the public and private sectors.
Old Georgians’ Association, FT & Selangor was formed in 1984. It also maintains close working relationship with the Alma Mater.
Both the Associations have never failed to answer any call of the Alma Mater in various projects.
St Michael’s Institution (Secondary), Ipoh
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Michael, Ipoh Jalan S P Seenivasagam, Ipoh, Perak
St Michael’s Institution is a well-known public secondary school in Ipoh, Perak. It is situated on Jalan SP Seenivasagam, formerly Clayton Road. St Michael’s Institution is part of the La Sallian worldwide community of schools.
Rev Father J.B. Coppin of St Michael’s Church initiated the idea of building a school. On December 4, 1912, St Michael’s Institution was opened. The school is widely known as ‘SMI’ and the students of St Michael’s Institution known as ‘Michaelians’. The school motto “QUIS UT DEUS” means ‘Who is greater than God?’.
Old Michaelians Association, Ipoh (OMA) was formed in 1933. It was established to provide networking, relationship and leadership opportunities amoing the alumni, present students and the Alma Mater. Till today, they still hold firm to these aspirations.
St Michael’s Institution Alumni Association, Klang Valley (SMIAA) was established in 2001. It works together with OMA to forge close links with the Alma Mater and maintain an interest in its progress.
St Anthony’s School (Secondary), Teluk Intan
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Anthony, Teluk Intan Jalan Sekolah, Teluk Intan, Perak
St Anthony’s School is a school in Teluk Intan, Perak, Malaysia. It was established in 1931 as a school under the local Roman Catholic Parish Church. It was named after ‘St Anthony’ of Padua, Italy, a most revered saint for his charitable work for the poor and his love for children. The school was transferred to the De La Salle Brothers in 1947 after the Second World War and has remained part of the Lasallian community since.The students are called ‘Anthonians’. Its motto of “CARITAS NON FICTA” means ‘Charity Without Hypocrisy’
It reached the pinnacle of education in the study of English and the sciences.
It also reached the pinnacle of sports excellence with many becoming sport greats and Olympians.
Persatuan Alumni St Anthony Teluk Intan was formed in 1969 as a social platform for Anthonian students and teachers to converge, renew and expand their fraternity with one another. It is also a charitable platform that raises funds to enhance the school’s learning environment as well as to help needy and deserving students.
St Andrew’s School (Secondary), Muar
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Andrew, Muar Jalan Hashim, 84000 Muar, Johor
In 1930, Mr K.Kathiravelu founded the Town School in Jalan Arab, Muar. He was the school principal from 1930 to 1933. Rev Fr J.P. Francois purchased the school from him in 1933 and renamed it as St Andrew’s School. The students are called ‘Andreans’. The school motto is, “SAUVITER IN MODO, FORTITER IN RE” which means “Gentle in Manners, Firm in Deeds”.
The La Salle Brothers took over the administration of the school in 1949. In October, 1954, the late Rev Bro Robert O’Sullivan took over as Principal of the school. He remained as school principal for 25 years until 1980. He was responsible for the fame of the school. It was during his tenure as principal that a little unknown school had earned itself the name and fame as the much sought after school, where parents elbowed their ways to find a place in the school for their children’s education. The school had since missed a great principal of all time!
Muar Andreans Association was formed in 1993 and has 2 Chapters: the Muar Chapter and the KL / PJ Chapter. The objectives of the Muar Andreans Association are to foster fellowships among old boys, to provide networking for both business and pleasure, to provide career guidance talks to school leavers of St Andrew’s School.
St Joseph’s Secondary School, Kuching
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Joseph, Kuching Jalan Tun Abang Haji Openg, 93000 Kuching, Sarawak
St Joseph’s Missionaries (or the Mill Hill Fathers) of the Roman Catholic Church started St Joseph’s School, Kuching in 1882 to provide basic education, knowing that education is an important factor in the building of a nation. This first Catholic missionary school in Sarawak was appropriately named St Joseph’s School after the patron of the Mill Hill Fathers.
They decided to hand over the running of the school to the services of the world renowned Christian Brothers (or Brothers of St John Baptist de la Salle or the De La Salle Brothers) in 1950. The school motto, ‘ORA ET LABORA” is Latin for ‘Pray and Labour’
Old Josephians’ Association was formed in 1970 with the principal objective of creating, promoting and maintaining friendship, unity and co- operation among its members and to bring ex-pupils of St Joseph’s School, wherever they may be, into close touch with the Alma Mater.
La Salle School (Secondary), Klang
Sekolah Menengah La Salle, Klang Persiaran Raja Muda Musa, 41200 Klang, Selangor
La Salle School, Klang is one of the oldest schools in Klang. It was established by the Roman Catholic Church in 1940 to provide education for Malayan boys regardless of race and religious affiliation. The school was originally known as St Bernadette’s School but was renamed La Salle Institution in 1950 when the school was placed under the administration of the De La Salle Brothers.
In 1952, the school was renamed La Salle School. The students and alumni of La Salle School, Klang call themselves ‘Lasallians’. The school motto, ‘LUX LUCEAT VOBIS” is Latin for ‘Let Your Light Shine’.
Old Lasallians Association Klang, popularly known by its acronym OLAK was registered more than 20 years ago with the primary function of fostering and promoting unity amongst former students of La Salle School, Klang
Sacred Heart Secondary School, Sibu
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Sacred Heart, Sibu Km 3, Jalan Oya, 96000 Sibu, Sarawak
Sacred Heart High School was started by Rev Fr Hopfgarther in 1902 to serve as an English school. In 1954, the De La Salle Brothers took control of the school. The school motto, ‘ORA ET LABORA” is Latin for ‘Pray and Labour’
The school history can be broadly categorized into three eras, viz.
(1) when under the administration of the Mill Hill Fathers
(2) when under the De La Salle Brothers and
(3) presently under our own home-grown administartors
It was under the administration of the Catholic Mission , followed by the de La Salle Brothers and presently our own home-grown administrators.
The Sacred Heart Old Students’ Association was formed in 1948. The main objective is to give the ex-students of Sacred Heart School the opportunity to meet together for recreational and social activities but more importantly, to help the Alma Mater and students morally and financially or through other avenues in appreciation of what they themselves had received from the school.
La Salle (Secondary) School, Brickfields
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan La Salle, Brickfields Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur
La Salle School Brickfields was established by the De La Salle Brothers in January 1954. It was a ‘feeder’ school to St John’s Institution.
La Salle School Brickfields which had a humble beginning stands today as a landmark in the area. A sign of progress and development.
Persatuan Alumni La Salle Brickfields was formed recently. They are on an active membership drive. The Exco members are actively involved in the formation and organisation of the Board of Governors as well as the Board of Managers for both the Primary schools.
La Salle Secondary School, Kota Kinabalu
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan La Salle, Kota Kinabalu Jalan Murni, Tanjung Aru, 88100 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
La Salle Secondary School Kota Kinabalu was established in July 1903 as Sacred Heart Primary School by Rev Fr Van Der Heyden. The school began with the vision to give wholesome education to the growing young population. The Mill Hill Fathers started the Sacred Heart Secondary School.
In 1958, the La Salle Brothers took over the management of the school and Sacred Heart Secondary School was subsequently renamed La Salle Secondary School. This name was derived after the founder, John Baptist De La Salle. The school motto, ‘FIDES ET OPERA” is Latin for ‘By Faith and Deeds’
The school is affiliated to other Lasallian educational institutions in Malaysia.
The Association of Ex-Students of La Salle and Sacred Heart, Kota Kinabalu was formed in 1960/61. The objectives of the Association are to promote solidarity and a feeling of Fellowship among its members; to promote mutual assistance and cooperation among its members; to promote close cooperation between its members and La Salle School, Kota Kinabalu; and to all such other things as are conducive or incidental to the attainment of the above aims or any of them.
La Salle School (Secondary), Petaling Jaya
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan La Salle, Petaling Jaya Jalan Cantek, 46000 Petaling Jaya.
La Salle School, Petaling Jaya, is a missionary school established by the De La Salle Brothers in 1959. The aim in building this new school was to ease the pressure for places in St John’s Institution, Kuala Lumpur, which was rapidly expanding at the time as well as cater for the needs of the growing township. Its enrolment, however, consists of students of all races regardless of their religions.
The school motto, ‘SAPIENTIA ET CARITAS” is Latin for ‘Wisdom and Love’.
The school was administered by the De La Salle Brothers until 1988. Since then, the heads have been lay individuals appointed by the Ministry of Education in consultation with the De La Salle Brothers in Malaysia.
The objectives of Old Lasallians Association, Petaling Jaya are to foster and promote unity amongst members; To foster and promote friendship, the spirit of goodwill, civic-consciousness and fellowship amongst its members; to plan activities for the physical, cultural, moral, intellectual and social development and advancement of its members; to provide organizational facilities and to encourage its members to participate in sporting and recreational activities; to work in cooperation with the Principal, Board of Governors and its Parents Teachers Association of La Salle Petaling Jaya, for the physical development curricular and co-curricular activities and cultural advancement of the pupils of the school
The Association recognizes that working hand in hand with the Board of Governors and the Alma Mater is the way of the future.
La Salle School (Secondary), Sentul
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan La Salle, Sentul Jalan Sentul, 51000 Kuala Lumpur
La Salle School Sentul was the first “branch school” of the Christian Brothers’ schools in Kuala Lumpur. When the Japanese Occupation ended in Malaya, there was a great demand for education, with it, a demand for more schools.
The Parish priest of St. Joseph’s Church in Sentul, Rev. Fr. Belet opened a small private school in 1948. It was then that the La Salle Brothers were requested to take over. The Christian Brothers bought a piece of freehold land of four-and-a-half acres to build a new school.
A new building was put up and on January 5, 1950, La Salle School Sentul was born.
La Salle Sentul Old Boys Association underwent a challenging period of time. They are currently in the midst of reviving it and bring it back to its glory.
Malaysian Federation Of Lasallian Associations
Registered Address: La Salle Provincialate, 15-D, Jalan Chantek (5/13), 46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.
The Malaysian Federation of Lasallian Associations is an umbrella organization for all La Salle Alumni Associations in Malaysia. Launched in December 1976 at St Xavier’s Institution, Penang, by five such bodies, namely, Old Xaverians’ Association, Penang, Old Georgians’ Association, Taiping, Old Paulians’ Association, Seremban, Sacred Heart Old Students’ Association Sibu, Sarawak, Old Josephians’ Association Kuching, Sarawak.
Malaysian Federation of La Sallian Associations (MFOLSA) has grown in size and now comprises nineteen (19) Members Associations.
The presidency of the Federation used to operate on a rotational basis bi-annually, i.e. one of the incumbent Presidents of a Member Association would be the host President of the MFOLSA and such elected Member Association shall host the MFOLSA for a term until the next election when the hosting of MFOLSA either remained with the same Member Association or was passed onto another Member Association whereupon the President of that chosen Member Association would then head the MFOLSA for a term.
Sometime in the year 2005, Tan Sri Dato Chan Choong Tak, the then President of Old Paulians’ Association Seremban and the then host President of the MFOLSA, spearheaded the overall amendments of the Rules and Constitution of MFOLSA, with the main amendments to provide for the secretariat address of the MFOLSA to be the permanent address of the MFOLSA and to allow the President of the MFOLSA to be elected. By such amendment the President of the MFOLSA need not necessarily be the incumbent President of the chosen host Member Association. Lasallians from all Member Associations shall be elected to form the incumbent Executive Committee of the MFOLSA instead of the host Member Association dominating such committee for a term. The amendments were approved by the Registry of Societies on the 12th April, 2006. Thenceforth, the Executive Committee of the MFOLSA comprises all Presidents of Member Associations as the Vice Presidents of the MFOLSA as well Lasallians who are alumni members from their member associations sitting in the executive committee of the MFOLSA.
The objectives of the MFOLSA are:-
- To keep former students of Lasallian educational institutions in Malaysia in close touch with one another.
- To bring into being and to promote a feeling of friendship and unity among the members of the Member Associations.
- To safeguard the interest and to assist in the development and progress of Lasallian educational institutions.
- To render mutual assistance and work for the welfare of Member Associations and their Members. Our commitment from the beginning as citizens of our nation has been for multicultural integration and interfaith dialogue among all our people. We have been committed to unity and fellowship founded on our Lasallian values and ethos. We want to share our Lasallian heritage, values and ethos with more young Lasallians in Asia who are in our educational institutions. As Alumni, we have over the years served our respective educational institutions from which we received our holistic education. We want to form new links and foster a meaningful association with our other Asian Lasallian Alumni.